About us.

Saturday 31 January 2009

The end of the season and maybe an era......









A bit sad today. The shooting season is over, and it only seems like yesterday I was excitedly setting off with Olli for his 1st full season, and apprehensive as to how he would do. I needn't have been. Those of you who have read my blog from the start would know that he has been a top dog since he started back in October. Today was no exception. It was bitterly cold, and a very strong wind was coming in off the sea, so what birds did appear, flew with the wind. This meant that not only were they very fast, but they all went the same direction, leaving a lot of guns with no shots to take. Even so, Olli worked superbly all day, and picked up every bird in his vicinity. Fern and I did laugh in the morning, as the 1st bird to drop was collected at break neck speed!! Olli raced off around the corner, and was back at 90 mph no sooner than he'd left! Cock bird in his mouth, handed to me in a hurry and he spun around to stand by side watching the skies for the next one. So excited he didn't have time to hang around! Bless him.
Becki came today too. She stayed in the truck for the 1st couple of drives, but then came out with Olli for the drive before lunch. She still gets so excited, and darted back & forth across the hill, stopping to sit with us for a cuddle briefly, but then off to watch for any birds. She didn't get the chance to retrieve any today, which is a bit of a shame as its probably her last ever shoot. She is 11 years old, and has a few lumps brewing under her chest. She had 1 huge operation 2 years ago, but I wont put her through another. I think by October she will be retired to spend her days relaxing on the sofa and sleeping until her time comes. She is the reason I started shooting 7 years ago, and he reason I decided to buy & train Olli so I owe her so much. Thank you Becki, you are still my special spaniel and have taught me so much.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

Sounds like a lovely day, and the dogs obviously love thir job.